INVADED CHAPTER ONE PART TWO

1 CONTINUATION

The sound of the car horn alerted me. I stood up and ran to the window. In view was a Toyota; exactly what I expected to see; Slim’s dad’s car
‘Muna’ I yelled walking away from the window. ‘Munachi Nzeribe’ I yelled louder. She ran downstairs with her sandals in her hands. An angry look plastered on her face
‘What is it’ she snapped; walking up to me. I pointed to the window as I sat down to wear my black flats.
‘Oh…. They’re here.’ I nodded in agreements concentrating on my shoe
‘Go keep them company. I’m coming outside to meet you when I’m done with my make up’ I looked at her and scoffed.
‘I’m not going anywhere without you. I don’t like your lanky boyfriend and you know that’ I said in a mocking voice. Muna turned and looked at me
‘Yeah yeah you hate his guts’
‘And his cockiness. And his face’ I interrupted getting up. Muna looked at me and rolled her eyes.
‘Okay. Wait for me. I’ll rush my make up and we can both go there since you can’t do the one thing I ask’ she said and walked away. I sighed and sat down. I remembered that night. ‘The Billionaire who Bought Christmas’ was the book I was reading I picked it up and continued from where I stopped trying to concentrate and stop the thoughts that were going through my head. I picked up my phone and scrolled through for any missed calls from my parents but there was none. They probably thought I was fast asleep in my room undistracted by their display. I shook on hearing a knock on the door. I remained sited anticipating the second attempt. It came again and this time it was louder
‘Muna someone is at the door’ I yelled she ran downstairs fully dressed in a leather mini skirt and a plane pink chiffon top well tucked in
‘Let’s go’ she said without looking at me heading for the door. I stood up and followed putting my phone in my schoolbag and laying the bag neatly at the extreme end of the sofa. She unbolted the door just as Slim was about to knock again
‘You guys have been in there for up to twenty minutes now.’ Slim said hugging Muna. I stood at a respectful distance and observed them. Fola sat in the car busy with his phone. Slim and Fola were I and Muna’s two years senior. While we were in school; Muna had a thing for Slim and recently; they started dating. Nobody was in support of it most especially me since I wasn’t really a fan of Slim but she went ahead anyway
‘Is she coming’ Slim asked eyeing me rudely. I folded my hands and looked away. I really hated him
‘Yes she is and you better get comfortable with that’ Muna snapped and walked away angrily to the car. Slim looked at me and laughed rudely
‘Evening Slim’ I said with a small smile on my face. He smiled equally
‘Evening’ and with that he walked away. I looked up as if it could save me then headed to the car. The things I put myself into. Something still felt wrong but then again everything I was doing was wrong. Being the middle child of three girls; I could’ve known better. My elder sister had been there done that and she always told me that there was nothing in all of this and my younger sister looked up to me. I could change my mind and tell them to drop me in front of my house but I had already gone far into the night. There was no point leaving.
I didn’t look my age at that period; my tall physique, slim stature and full bust often made me look older than my age but my face did no disappointment in betraying my real age. Muna on the other hand was the same height as I was but was a late developer compared to me. But she had a very pretty face; one everyone never failed to admire.
‘You look pretty’ Fola observed from the window of the car. I smiled shyly and looked away trying to hide the excitement that came from a lame compliment. I opened the car and entered it; right beside Fola. Fola was my high school crush. Unlike Muna; I was shy and quiet. Muna was a go getter; she normally got anything she wanted. I didn’t have that spirit and I’m sure that was one thing that hindered I and Fola having a relationship because I was sure to have blown him off several times even without me knowing it
‘There’s a change in plan’ Slim said attracting all our attention as he started the car
‘Okay……what’ Muna asked opening his pigeon hole then closing it back
‘Ummh…the house isn’t available today. Slim’s dad is around so we are going to be using our off campus apartment around Unilag’ Fola said looking at me. Muna turned to the back and gave me a look that showed she wasn’t sure that was a good idea
‘We’re leaving the estate’ I asked
‘Yes….. It’s around Unilag’ Slim said in a slow emphasized voice trying to prove I was stupid. I squeezed my mouth and looked out of the window ‘Great’ I mouthed.
‘Why would you think I would come get you two in a car if it was at my place? I know you two Barbies can’t hit the road at this time of the night’ slim continued ‘don’t worry you’re safe’ he completed
‘I know that’ Muna said throwing her hand round his neck and kissing him. Fola hit the back of Slim’s chair unexpectedly which made Slim shiver
‘Dude….t he road’ he added. Slim laughed and increased the speed of the car as we left the estate gate. We continued the journey in awkward silence; Muna observing me regularly through the rear view mirror. I was beginning to get excited. On a Wednesday night I was out to a party; which young girl wouldn’t want that
‘The car’s too quiet’ Muna nagged. ‘I hate quiet places….. Come on let’s play truth or dare’ I sighed. Muna had started again; looking for excitement where it wasn’t needed. Why couldn’t we just move quietly?
‘Really Muna…ummh no we’ll soon be there’
‘Come on Fola don’t be a wet blanket’ she said stretching her hand to the back and slapping him playfully
‘Okay…..Slim truth or dare’ she started
‘Truth’
‘Did you smoke at all this week’ she asked concentrating on him for an answer. Slim paused and concentrated more on the road
‘No’ he finally said
‘You see that’s a lie’ Muna snapped opening his pigeon hole and bringing out the packet of White London cigarette that was there. Slim sighed and turned to Muna briefly
‘School’s been getting on my nerves Munachi. I’ve been tensed up’
‘And the best way to un tense yourself is to smoke?......Slim?’
‘Muna truth or dare’ I hurried out trying to change the topic before an argument started. She looked at me angrily through the rearview mirror
‘Dare’ she said looking outside.
‘Whow!…………..ummh………….I dare you to………….ummh I dare’ I paused and searched my head for answers; I just couldn’t find an appropriate answer. Slim sighed and looked at me through the mirror
‘why don’t I dare you instead’ she said interrupting my thought
‘Okay’
‘Kiss Fola’ she said sharply putting on a wicked smile. Slim laughed and adjusted his mirror
‘I wouldn’t want to miss this one’ he said in between laughter. I popped my eyes at Muna. Was she okay. There was no way that was happening not in the car
‘Come on Tonia, it’s just a kiss’
‘And it’s a stupid dare. I’m not doing it’ slim scoffed and eyed me briefly
‘Buzz kill’ she mumbled. I frowned in anger. I really hated this boy. Why in heaven’s name did Muna start dating him? Now I was stuck in the same car with him
‘Its just a kiss not a proposal. Grow up’ he added. Muna rolled her eyes and looked at me annoyed that I wasn’t playing along. Fola just stirred at me with a cocky smile on his face. What the heck. Yeah it was just a kiss. I leaned towards Fola and yeah finally I gave them what they wanted and kissed him. My heart pounding faster than ever.
‘Finally!’ I was interrupted as the car came to a halt. I pulled away from Fola’s grasp and looked confusingly at Slim.
‘This isn’t Unilag’ Muna observed so did I observing the bushes and un tarred road we were; in the middle of nowhere
‘Exactly dummy’ Slim said rudely. Fola burst out in laughter which made me more uncomfortable. My first instinct was to reach out for the door but it didn’t open
‘Stop wasting your time the lock to that side has been bad for ages’ Fola scoffed as he dialed his phone
‘Where are we’ I cried out. Horrified at what my next fate would be. I looked over at Muna. She was equally as scared as I was. What was happening, why the sudden change. Muna struggled with her door to but it didn’t open
‘You girls are stupid you know that’ Slim started ‘Who holds a party on a Wednesday night. Oh… yeah you’re not just stupid you’re naïve and stupid’
‘Okay Slim if this is a joke stop!’ Muna cried ‘Let’s just go home please’
‘Ummh Slim……they’re here’ Fola said signaling to the bus that was arriving. My heart was hitting my chest. Terrified was an understatement for what I was. I didn’t know what to do and fighting them didn’t seem like an option I looked at the bus as it stopped and two huge men walked out followed by a lady; a petite pimped up woman.
‘Fola’ I called but he looked away. Slim came down from the car so did Fola. I breathed in and out not sure of what the smartest move to take was my eyes closed as I tried to calm my nerves; it wasn’t working.
‘Come down and if you try to do anything stupid I or Fola wouldn’t hesitate in stabbing you’ slim commanded. We both came down through their side. Muna was soaked in tears but crying didn’t even seen appropriate for me; I was simply scared.
‘Valerie. This are the girls you wanted’ Fola said. ‘Now can we get our money and go?’ Fola continued anxiously. I squeezed my eyes in disbelief. Money? The girls you wanted? What was going on?

‘take them to the car’ she ordered the two hefty men. They grabbed us and dragged us roughly to the car. I looked back at Fola and Slim as the women gave them a brown envelope. Tears finally rolled down my eyes. I was just being sold but that wasn’t what was in my head; the ignorance on what my fate was was; trafficking, ritual…. I didn’t know. As the men covered our nose with a damp rag my head became clouded and I gradually got dizzy. They say the sin that is followed by a temptation is far worse than the strength taken to resist it. I could have done the right thing; resisted Muna’s offer and stayed at home but I chose to jump out of my window. Now I was here. As I slowly fell unconscious my mind wandered to my little sister Irene. Was that the last she was seeing of me? At that moment; I had no answers. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SELFLESSNESS